Monday, June 30, 2014

A New Reason to Travel, A New Blog...

As I am sure you are all aware, the motto of Liberia is “The Love of Liberty Brought Us Here.”  With this as my inspiration, and acknowledging that studying Liberia will bring me to a wide variety of seemingly random and disconnected research sites (taking Bloomington, Indiana, the site of my first archival visit, as an example), I have titled this new blog “The Love of Research Brought Me Here…Wait, Where am I??”  Over the next few years, as my graduate work brings me to different places around the United States, Liberia, and the world, I hope to document my experiences (both those in and out of the formal research process), here.  Thank you for joining me on what promises to be an exciting and hopefully rewarding journey :)

As I alluded to above, I kicked off this summer with a trip to the thriving metropolis of Bloomington, Indiana, home of Indiana University and its Liberian Collections, probably the largest extant collection of older Liberian documents.  Although that research trip ended before I could create this blog (I tell you, figuring out a name for the darn thing is the hardest part!), I wanted to share a couple of the highlights to kick things off:

After 11 hours of driving with virtually no stops, The Silver Bullet (my ’93 Volvo sedan) and I arrived in Bloomington, IN, only to suddenly have all the lights on the dashboard flash at me and the car sputter instead of starting back up once I stopped it in the America’s Best Value Inn parking lot.  I guess Bullet and I had bitten off more than we could chew going between 80 and 90 the whole way, but it had felt pretty good and we were excited to get there!  The next morning things started up just fine, only to go dreadfully wrong when I stopped to get gas and The Silver Bullet told me enough was enough, dying at the pump.  After waiting about half an hour, and becoming officially late for my 8 AM meeting with the archivist, a very nice man in a mechanic outfit helped me out.  He had been waiting for the gas station to open with me for about 10 minutes and had heard me asking around for someone with jumper cables (no, I don’t own any – and I know, I should get some).  Even though he was late starting his drive up to Indianapolis in this old 70’s Lincoln Towncar he was fixing up (having been delayed by the fact that his girlfriend, who was supposed to drive with him and bring him back once he dropped the car, had not come home the night before – when I asked if we should be worried about her he told me that she had probably run off with another man…ouch… if anyone knows what you should say back to that, let me know because I had nothing!), he offered to drive back to his garage around the corner and grab his cables and come jump start my car.  While the jumper cables were doing their thing, he lamented that he probably needed all the good karma he could get that day and that he just couldn’t understand why someone you love would hurt you so.  I didn’t have an answer for him on that one either :(

After a quick stop at the local Volvo dealership to drop off my car, I was on my way to the archive and just a little over an hour late!  I had only three days to spend in the archive, so I had to get cracking immediately.  The majority of the collection I was looking at was collected by Svend E. Holsoe, a scholar of Liberia who managed to get copies (there’s a good story behind that, ask if you’re interested) of a lot of Liberian documents back before they were destroyed in the civil war so now they are the only remaining copies.  Pouring over someone else’s research notes makes you really want to take detailed and legible ones of your own, let me tell you! – Or at least it did for me… but on second thought, that’s probably just me haha. It was really interesting to sort of see into the processes of his mind with how he gathered things and organized all the materials.  He had organized records of each ship that came across from the US to Liberia (and when I say “ship” I really should be more specific as I’m trying to learn all the different types of vessels and what it means to have a “barque” versus a “schooner” arrive… things which probably top the list of what I thought I’d never care about but now do!) and copies of missionary records that were all really helpful and I wish I had had more time there – which only means I have to arrange to go back!  The staff there was so helpful and I have to give a huge shout out to Megan MacDonald and Verlon Stone for their amazing help and support to make my trip as easy as possible.

My research space in the reading room ... is it weird that I never noticed the picture of the sort of creepy looking man lurking behind me until now when I look at the photo?

Before I knew it, my three days were up and it was time to pick my car up from the Volvo dealership (which had less than stellar service, I’m just going to admit it, we could have done a much better job at Farrell Volvo) and be on my way!  Thankfully (for both myself and The Silver Bullet), on the way back I only had to drive about four hours the first night to get to Michigan City where I stayed with the wonderful Jess Arnett and her new husband Skyler!  I also got to meet her mom who was in town from Alaska for the wedding, a huge treat!  The next day I finished the drive home (a quick eight hours) and was ready to get on the plane the next morning to start my 2+ month journey – Massachusetts for Naima and Kyle’s wedding, South Africa for Winter School, and Liberia for pre-dissertation research! (You have no idea how hard it was to pack for so many different events and climates…)

I’m in Cape Town, South Africa now and I’ll hopefully write my first post about this trip tomorrow, but in the meantime, I need to be getting to bed as it is almost midnight here and it’s already proving to be a whirlwind trip!

1 comment: