Late Wednesday night, I made the really difficult decision
to move up my departure date and go home early from Liberia. When the Peace Corps announced that it was
pulling out of Liberia (in addition to Sierra Leone and Guinea), I had to take
that as my cue to leave as well – with the loving prodding of my family,
advisers, and friends :) – Thank you to all of you who took the time to tell me
you were thinking of me and (probably more importantly) who took on the
difficult task of convincing me to do something you knew I didn’t want to
do. It’s the right decision to leave.
That being said, I do want to take this opportunity to
correct what I think is an imbalance in the media coverage of what is happening
here. Ebola is a very serious, dangerous
illness. There is no cure (although
there are treatment options which have been having a greater degree of success
than in the past). However, while far
too many people are dying and we do need to take this seriously and education
about the disease and its prevention needs to be forthcoming, I think the
western media is taking this as another opportunity to grab onto a negative
story about Africa and milk it for all its horrible, heart-wrenching details
(at least from what I have seen through my satellite tv which plays BBC news on
repeat…so maybe it’s a skewed perspective).
This disease is transmitted by contact with an acutely infected or
deceased person’s bodily fluids (blood, sweat, vomit, pee, etc.) or by contact
with infected food (bushmeat or fruit that has been eaten by fruitbats, etc). Because of this, the risk for people can be
minimized by taking the necessary precautions (washing your hands and clothes,
avoiding contact with other people, eating thoroughly cooked food, etc.) and is
especially low for many Americans who would be in Liberia. I will admit that, given that I still live
like a Peace Corps Volunteer and take shared taxis where I sit basically on top
of strangers and move about crowded markets, etc., my risk level is higher than
the average American citizen in Liberia (yes, I have discontinued all of those
activities and now feel like a princess in my own taxi which takes me to the
supermarket where my driver insisted on holding my shopping basket for me
today, it was ridiculously uncomfortable).
I firmly believe that I could continue to be here and protect myself if
I continued to take the necessary precautions.
But that is provided that I could eventually leave…which I was getting
more and more concerned about my ultimate ability to do. I was originally scheduled to depart Liberia
on Arik Airlines, a Nigerian company which suspended all flights to Liberia
after a Liberian man died of Ebola after arriving in Nigeria. With my flight cancelled – and not knowing if
other airlines would also decide to stop service to Liberia, and with the land
borders closed, I had to decide that it was important for me to take this
opportunity to move up my flight and go home early. Learning that the Peace Corps was evacuating
volunteers was enough to make me really sit up and admit that I don’t know what
is happening on the larger policy level and can’t guarantee that higher ups
won’t decide to take away my ability to go home when I want/need.
Now let’s talk about what Liberia is doing about Ebola. There are massive education efforts going on
– from billboards to flyers to pop songs on the radio (they are pretty catchy!
I have found myself singing them to myself!).
There is water with chlorine and soap for washing your hands at the
entrance to most places (government offices, supermarkets, my apartment
building, etc.) – my hands constantly smell like I’ve been in a pool, and I am
A-ok with that. People have stopped
shaking hands – which is very disconcerting as Liberians are really friendly
people and shaking hands with the distinctive snap at the end is something so
embedded in Liberian culture. People are
wearing gloves on the street. I even saw
a guy bring a friend a bag-water and be sure to tell the guy which corner of
the water bag the saleswoman had touched so he would drink from another
section. People are not letting their
kids run around to other people’s houses.
And most recently, the president has announced that all non-essential
government staff will stop going to work as of today and then all the
government ministries will be closed for one month while the buildings are
cleaned (which selfishly made me feel a bit better about leaving as I wouldn’t
be able to do much of the work that I had planned even if I was staying). Obviously all of this is from my experience
in Monrovia as I have not been upcountry since my first weekend here, but I
feel like people here at least are very well-informed and I am hopeful that
with this added caution the epidemic will soon be more under control. This does not speak to the situation at
hospitals and clinics, of which I only have very bleak second-hand information,
but I think that knowledge of how to protect yourself from contracting the
disease is the first step.
Perhaps not the best made flyer (I might not have written "from the Ebola virus" at the top like that...) but just to show you the sort of thing that's being handed out.
Hand washing station
One last thing and then I’ll stop going on and on about
Ebola (which I now know more about than I ever thought I would!), one thing
that is really hard about this disease is how common its symptoms are in other
illnesses. The first sign is a sudden
fever, followed by weakness, followed by vomiting and/or diarrhea. Well, I think I just described at least a
dozen different diseases that are common in Liberia. I myself, as I mentioned in a previous post,
came down with a cold this week and was so nervous about Ebola that I convinced
myself it was possible I had it! (I don’t, I called the Ebola hotline just to
be 100% sure and the nice operator man and I had a good laugh at the fact that
I clearly did not have Ebola – although my sore throat, headaches, and cough do
show up on some of the published symptoms lists!). Anyway, the point is that, with people being
so afraid of Ebola and the symptoms being so commonplace, it really is a
difficult situation here and people are tempted to and do turn on one another
at the first signs of the disease, it’s really heartbreaking.
In the end, I know that I need to leave on Sunday night, but
I will do so with a very heavy heart and more than a pang of guilt. My thoughts will obviously stay here with all
my friends as I hope they all manage to protect themselves and their loved
ones. Liberians are strong and I know
that they will emerge from this crisis stronger. And I cannot wait to come back :)


No comments:
Post a Comment