Sunday, July 27, 2014

Happy 167th Birthday, Republic of Liberia!

Yesterday (July 26th) we celebrated Liberia’s 167th Independence Day.  In 1847, the Republic of Liberia declared their independence from the American Colonization Society as a sovereign state in order to gain self-governance and the respect of other nations which were violating Liberian customs policies in particular. The Declaration of Independence itself was based quite heavily on the American Declaration of Independence.  While many countries immediately recognized and accepted Liberia’s independence, the US didn’t officially recognize it until 1862.  Obviously that is an incredibly simplified version of the story, but hopefully that will suffice to give you a little history lesson for today and hopefully made you want to know more!  If that's the case, just ask :)

I was very honored to be invited to the government ceremony in Centennial Pavilion, the site where the Declaration of Independence was signed.  We heard an inspirational speech about service to the country and leadership (which made me want to go back and join the Peace Corps again) from this year’s national orator, Dr. Davis-Russell (President of William V. S. Tubman University) and a very honest speech from President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf about the difficulties the country has faced this year and how it will move forward.

 I decided to go with my window-patterned lappa suit for the occasion!  My students gave me this suit as a present when I was leaving in 2012.

My invitation and the program for the event

President Sirleaf speaking

Outside of the Centennial Pavilion after the ceremony let out


After the ceremony was finished I went over to a friend’s house for lunch and then came back to my apartment to lounge around in bed.  I had woken up with a sore throat that morning and I’ve been trying to fight it off ever since.  With the Ebola epidemic raging on here (I’m planning to write a post about that sometime soon), I am not thrilled to have my immune system in any sort of weakened state!  Hopefully tomorrow morning I’ll wake up ready to start the week off healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment