Disclaimer: If you’re a person who is squeamish about bugs,
I’d
recommend sitting this one out. Consider
yourself forewarned! :)
Bugs are a reality in Liberia. I probably kill at least 10 bugs in my
apartment every day and I let a ton of smaller ones go because what is the
point. I make sure to clean any dishes
promptly and I keep food sealed up, I don’t open my sliding door, all that
stuff, but like I said, bugs are just a reality. And they don’t bother me… until I’m going to
bed.
Today is my sister Naima’s birthday (happy birthday shout
out!) and in her honor, I’m going to put up this post about how she scarred me
for life – or at least my Liberian life.
Naima was a Peace Corps volunteer in Benin which means that we can swap similar
stories of life in West Africa. One of
Naima’s stories, though, is about how her friend had a cockroach crawl into his
ear and get stuck. Yes, a big bug
crawled into his ear and he couldn’t get it out until he rode all the way down
to see the Peace Corps doctor and yes, it was still alive in there (or at least
for a while). Now when I was here in
Liberia the first time, as some of you may remember, Peace Corps issued me a
bug tent to sleep in which was my prized possession.
Keeping that thing zipped up all day, I knew when I climbed into bed at
night there would be no surprises waiting for me. This time, I’m tent-less. I did bring a mosquito net with me, but there
isn’t a way to hang it in my room and the problem is crawling bugs so there
doesn’t seem to be much point. Every
night I do a bed check, lifting up all the bedding and making sure
there is nothing there. But then I have
to go to sleep… and I’m petrified something is going to crawl in my ear! I make sure I’m on my side so only one ear is
exposed and then pull the sheet up to cover that ear, but a bug could still
crawl under the sheet! So then I have to
put my hand over my ear. I’m telling
you, it is a good thing that sleeping is a particular skill of mine because I’m
having a lot of restless nights as it is!
I’ll wake up in the middle of the night and realize I’m leaving my ear
exposed! Who knows what has crawled in
with me since my bed check! So I roll
over, recover my ear, try to go back to sleep…and maybe curse my sister a
little bit :)
Alright, time to go do my bed check! Here’s to hopefully another bug-less night! Love you Naima, I'll be thinking of you! :)
Aww poor Jessie! You need an Aragog (spider that eats all the other bugs) like I had! But as I recall, you didn't like Aragog much either...
ReplyDeleteThanks for the birthday shout-out and sorry I scarred you with Peace Corps horror stories! Love you!!!
ReplyDelete